These minutes may be approved or amended at the October 14, 2019 Board of Education meeting.
The Board of Education of USD 490 met regular session on Monday, September 9, 2019, in the Board of Education Office, 124 W Central, El Dorado, Kansas.I. Routine
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Norm Wilks at 6:00 p.m. 2. Roll Call
Members Present: Norm Wilks, President Tom Storrer, Vice President Vicki CoashMonty HugheyHeather NicholsSharon WaughMember Absent: Rob Lane Others Present: Teresa Tosh, Superintendent Melissa Smith, BOE Clerk Kathy Robertson, Executive Director of Fiscal & Support ServicesJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of TechnologyChad Schuetz, PrincipalStan Ruff, PrincipalJan Weber, CounselorChy Billings, TeacherHaley Remsberg, Patron
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Norm Wilks moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 30 minutes to discuss individual employee performance with Board members and the Superintendent present. Monty Hughey seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.The board returned to general session at 6:30 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve the agenda and addendum (7a. Behavior Health School Liaison, 7b. Additional Personnel Recommendations). Seconded by Tom Storrer the motion carried 6-0.
5. Approval of the Consent Calendar
Heather Nichols made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar as stated below. Sharon Waugh seconded the motion; the motion carried 6-0.Minutes, August 12th, 2019 Regular meetingMinutes, August 29th, 2019 Special meetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, C Credit Card Report Activity Report Information
6. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
Horizon Award Nominees: Kacie Johnson – 6th Grade Interrelated Teacher; Chy Billings – Blackmore Elementary Music Teacher;
• Skelly Elementary – Principal Stan Ruff and Counselor Jan Weber shared information on the Families program where students are involved in engaging activities and work on communication and social skills. • Director of Technology Update – Doug Jensen provided an update on technology initiatives in the district, previewed the Apple Distinguished books created for submission to be named an Apple Distinguished School, and shared information on security measures incorporated from grants received. • Construction Update – Kathy Robertson provided a visual update of construction projects.
9. Tennis Court Management Interlocal Agreement
A proposed management agreement for the tennis court complex was presented.Tom Storrer made a motion to approve the Tennis Court Management Interlocal Agreement between USD 490 and the City of El Dorado as presented. Monty Hughey seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.
10. Behavior Health School Liaison Job Description
Through an MHIT Grant, the district will employ Behavior Health School Liaison’s to implement a school-based behavior health model. A job description has been created which requires Board approval. Heather Nichols made a motion to approve the Behavior Health School Liaison Job Description as presented. Seconded by Vicki Coash, the motion carried 6-0.
11. Approve USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Monty Hughey made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations which include the addendum. Sharon Waugh seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0. Additional DutiesRebecca Boender, Bus Aide;Samantha Hasting, CDL Driver;Amanda Light, Non CDL Driver;EmploymentJamee Frye, Sub Bus Aide, Non CDL Driver, Sub CDL Driver;Ruth Krug, CDL Driver;Kaitlyn Santonge, CDL Driver;Stormie Wilson, Bus Aide and Sub Custodian;ReplacementDustin Avery, EHS Assistant Football Coach, replacing Ryan Hull;Destiny Bowlin, EHS Assistant Softball Coach, replacing Brandon Leach;Daniela Guevara, Skelly Building Aide, replacing Amanda Conrad-White;Sara Karst, EMS Assistant Volleyball Coach, replacing Jamie Ball;Karen Larcom, District Nurse, replacing Jeanie Doolittle;Dominica Locke, EHS Softball Assistant Coach, replacing Theresa Wessel;Sara Pulliam, EMS Assistant Cheer Coach, replacing Valerie Hrabe;ResignationValerie Hrabe, EMS Assistant Cheer Coach;Glenda Kerstetter, Sub Bus Aide;Dylan Richardson, EMS/EHS Assistant Track Coach;Troy Webster, Grandview Evening Custodian;TransferEdna Cleveland, from Bus Aide to Van Driver;Sandra Gulick, from Bus Aide to Non CDL Driver;Brenda Sherman, from Van Driver to Bus Aide; Samantha Morgan, from Family Liaison & Alternative Program Coordinator to Behavior Health School Liaison & Alternative Program Coordinator; Julyn Valenzuela, from District Social Worker to Behavior Health School Liaison;TerminationLynn Worthington, Bus Driver;SubstitutesConner Belcher, Michelle Hansen, Gene Kimble, Billy Nguyen, Jenna Neal, Iris Schlabach, Tammy Worcester;
• Wednesday, September 11 - Tennis Court Complex Ribbon Cutting – 5:30 p.m.• Friday, September 27 - Early Dismissal & Homecoming Parade @ 2 pm• Monday, September 30 – 5th Monday Board Meeting
Board President Norm Wilks adjourned the meeting at 7:26 p.m.Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS