These minutes may be amended or approved at the December 14, 2020 BOE meeting.
The Board of Education of USD 490 met in regular session on Monday, November 9, 2020, at the Board of Education Office located at 124 West Central Avenue, El Dorado, Kansas.I. Routine
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Tom Storrer at 6:00 p.m.
2. Roll Call
Tom Storrer, President Heather Nichols, Vice PresidentRob LaneHaley RemsbergRoger SmithSharon WaughNorm Wilks Others Present: Teresa Tosh, Superintendent Melissa Smith, BOE Clerk Kathy Robertson, Executive Director of Fiscal & Support ServicesJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of TechnologyKarla King, EMS PrincipalRandy Just, Communities in School CoordinatorJelinda Keeling, Teacher
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Heather Nichols moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 30 minutes to discuss an individual employee’s performance pursuant to the KOMA non-elected personnel with Board members, the Superintendent and Executive Director of Fiscal & Support Services present. Norm Wilks seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0.Kathy Robertson exited Executive Session at 6:10 p.m.The board returned to general session at 6:30 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.At 6:30 p.m. Heather Nichols moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 15 minutes to discuss an individual employee’s performance pursuant to the KOMA non-elected personnel with Board members and the Superintendent present. Sharon Waugh seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0.The board returned to general session at 6:45 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve the agenda. Seconded by Haley Remsberg, the motion carried 7-0.
5. Approval of the Consent Calendar
Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar as stated below. Heather Nichols seconded the motion; the motion carried 7-0.Minutes, October 12th, 2020 Regular meetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, CCredit Card ReportActivity ReportParent Teacher Conference Reports Information
6. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
• El Dorado Middle School Update – Karla King provided an update on demographics. Randy Just, EMS Site Coordinator for the Communities in Schools program, joined Mrs. King in sharing information about the Communities in Schools program, which is funded through a DCF grant. • CTE Program Update – Executive Director of Curriculum Julie Jensen provided an update on CTE programming and shared CTE class participation numbers, which continue to increase. Tom Storrer exited the meeting at 7:18 p.m. and returned at 7:21p.m. • Butler County Coop Update – Heather Nichols reported that 3267 students were provided services last school year. She also discussed the paraeducator shortage across the county and providing services while navigating around COVID. • #PartofthePride After School Program – Kathy Robertson shared that there were not enough participants to begin the program this year. Additional information will be provided to households in the spring in hopes of offering the program again for the 2021-22 school year. • Budget – Kathy Robertson and Teresa Tosh shared that with declining enrollment, the budget will be down roughly $261,000 next year. At the November 30th 5th Monday meeting, the Board will discuss needs and wants for the next 5 years to provide guidance to develop short and long-term capital projects goals. Heather Nichols exited the meeting at 7:47 and returned at 7:49.Norm Wilks exited the meeting at 7:55 and returned at 7:58.
8. Course Additions and Changes
Executive Director of Curriculum Julie Jensen presented course proposals to EHS (Ceramics III, Music Appreciation, Sculpture II, and Seminar) and EMS (Computer Applications 7 and 8, PLTW Flight and Space). The District Leadership Team has endorsed the course additions. Haley Remsberg made a motion to approve the course additions as presented for implementation during the 2021-22 school year. Heather Nichols seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0.
9. KASB Legislative Committee Recommendations and Delegate Appointment
Teresa Tosh discussed the appointment of a voting delegate and alternate for the KASB Delegate Assembly.Heather Nichols made a motion to appoint Norm Wilks as Delegate and Rob Lane as Alternate Delegate. Seconded by Roger Smith, the motion carried 7-0. Roger Smith exited the meeting at 8:05 p.m. and returned at 8:07 p.m.
10. Central Office Repairs
Exterior material samples were provided. Board approval was not required but consensus was to go with metal panels instead of brick.
11. Job Descriptions
Job description and performance evaluation for Head Coach and Assistant Coach were presented, as well as job description for #PartofthePride After School Program Activities Leader and Coordinator. Rob Lane made a motion to approve the job descriptions and evaluation forms as presented. Seconded by Norm Wilks, the motion carried 7-0.
12. Approve USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Heather Nichols made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations, as presented. Rob Lane seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0. EmploymentDiane Thompson, Sub Nurse;ResignationJordan Crawford, EHS Head Girls Basketball Coach;Ryan Hull, Freshman Boys Basketball Coach;Julie Jones, 8th Grade Girls Basketball Coach;Stephanie Landrum, Bus Aide;Greg Waite, Grandview Evening Custodian;ReplacementJulie Jones, EHS Head Girls Basketball Coach, replacing Jordan Crawford;Adam McCormick, Freshman Boys Basketball Coach, replacing Ryan Hull;Bradon Pinkerton, Grandview Evening Custodian, replacing Greg Waite;Paige Slayton, 8th Grade Girls Head Basketball Coach, replacing Julie Jones;TransferBrenda Cole, from Health Room Aide to Title I Aide at EMS (in addition to bus driver position);Doug Varner, from Bus Driver to Sub Bus Driver;Substitute TeacherMelissa Connell, Susan McCoy;
13. Strategic Planning
Teresa Tosh provided an update on the strategic planning process and what would take place at the November 30th 5th Monday meeting.
14. Executive Session
Tabled – not needed.
• November 25-27 Thanksgiving Break• November 30 5th Monday BOE Meeting• December 3-4 KASB Conference
Board President Tom Storrer adjourned the meeting at 8:23 p.m.Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS