These minutes may be approved or amended at the November 12, 2018, BOE meeting.
The Board of Education of USD 490 met in regular session on Monday, October 8, 2018, in the Board of Education Office, 124 West Central, El Dorado, Kansas.
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Norm Wilks at 6:00 p.m.
2. Roll Call
Members Present: Norm Wilks, PresidentTom Storrer, Vice PresidentVicki CoashMonty HugheyHeather NicholsSharon Waugh Others Present: Sue Givens, SuperintendentMelissa Smith, BOE ClerkJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of TechnologyDr. Kellen Adams, Executive Director of Fiscal/Support ServicesChad Schuetz, PrincipalDeDe Pierce, Assistant PrincipalAmanda Yager, TeacherDenise Johnson, TeacherChristie Henderson, CounselorLora Meirowsky, TeacherKinley Nielsen, StudentPenny Nielsen, PatronDeanna Bonn, Butler County Times Gazette
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Board President Norm Wilks moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 30 minutes to discuss issues regarding specific non-elected personnel with Board members and the Superintendent present. Tom Storrer seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.The board returned to general session at 6:30 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the agenda and addendum (9a. Additional Personnel Recommendation). Seconded by Monty Hughey, the motion carried 6-0.
5. Approve Consent Calendar
Monty Hughey made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar. Seconded by Sharon Waugh, the motion carried 6-0.Minutes, September 10, 2018 Regular meetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, C Credit Card Report Activity ReportTech PlanEarly Graduation Requests Information
6. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
• Kansas School Bus Safety Poster Contest Winner – Kinley Nielsen
• Blackmore – Chad Schuetz, teachers Denise Johnson and Amanda Yager, and School Counselor Christie Henderson shared practices being used at Blackmore Elementary to aide Social/Emotional Learning.Tom Storrer left the meeting at 7:04 p.m.Tom Storrer returned to the meeting at 7:07 p.m.• State and Federal Programs Update – DeDe Pierce Blackmore Assistant Principal and LCP Coordinator, provided a review of the State and Federal Programs including Title I, II, IV and V programs, State ESOL and State At-Risk. • Enrollment Report – Superintendent Sue Givens provided the unaudited FY19 enrollment numbers. Enrollment headcount is up 20 students and students transported shows an increase of 62 students.• KASB Video “Governance Model” – postponed to the November meeting.
9. Board Vacancy
Sharon Waugh made a motion to appoint Bernie Spradling to the USD 490 Board of Education. Vicki Coash seconded the motion. On a 3-3 vote, the motion failed.Tom Storrer made a motion to appoint Rob Lane to the USD 490 Board of Education. Monty Hughey seconded the motion. The motion carried 5-1.
10. Updated Interlocal Agreement for Special Education Services
The special education cooperative agreement has been updated to exclude language that did not allow for the cooperative to maintain their own facilities for special programs. Heather Nichols made a motion to approve the revised Interlocal Agreement for Special Education Services as recommended. Seconded by Tom Storrer, the motion carried 6-0.
11. USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations, including the Addendum. Sharon Waugh seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0. Additional DutiesGary Melcher, EHS Assistant Football Coach;EmploymentCrystal Cousins, Bus Aide/Sub Van Driver;Howard Goldsmith, PAC A/V Tech;Sandra Gulick, Bus Driver;Amy Joiner, Sub Van Driver and Sub Custodian;Kody Melugin, EMS Boys Basketball Coach;Diane Miller, Bus Driver/Bus Aide;Savanna Newman, Night Custodian at Blackmore;Lindsey Porter, Bus Driver;Paula Thornton, Bus Aide;ReplacementMatt Callaway, Maintenance/Grounds, replacing Curt Johnson;Danicka Hon, Bus Aide/Sub Van Driver, replacing Kim Sampoll;Hilary Koehn, Parent Educator, replacing Tiffany Schuetz;Jody Pringle, Building Aide at Blackmore, replacing Leta Kocher;ResignationIvanna Dewitt, Custodian at Blackmore;Curt Johnson, Maintenance/Grounds;Brandi Lanning, EHS Food Service;Casey Lippoldt, EHS Baseball Coach;Mariauna Mays, Sub Custodian;David Riggle, Bus Driver;RetirementSue Givens, Superintendent; (eff. June 2019)Substitute TeachersCally Bitterlin, Megan Fowler, Kody Melugin, Marna Schowalter, Brent VancurenTransferRebecca Boender, from Bus Aide to Sub Bus Aide;Miranda Cecchini-Roosevelt, from Bus Aide to Driver;Leta Kocher, from Building Aide at Blackmore to Project Lead the Way Aide at Skelly;
• October 15-19 National School Lunch Week• October 22-26 National School Bus Safety Week• October 23 & 25 Parent/Teacher Conferences• October 21-27 Red Ribbon Week• October 29 5th Monday BOE Meeting
Board President Norm Wilks adjourned the meeting at 7:25 p.m.
Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS