The U.S.D. #490 Board of Education met in regular session on Monday, May 14, 2018, in the Auditorium of El Dorado High School, 401 McCollum Rd., El Dorado, Kansas.I. Routine
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Vicki Coash at 6:00 p.m. 2. Roll Call
Members Present: Vicki Coash, PresidentNorm Wilks, Vice PresidentRyan CarsonMonty HugheyHeather NicholsTom StorrerSharon Waugh Others Present: Sue Givens, SuperintendentMelissa Smith, Board ClerkJohn Giffin, Butler County Times GazetteJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of TechnologyKellen Adams, Executive Director of Fiscal/Support ServicesKevin House, EHS PrincipalChandra Spears, OPAA! Director of NutritionKevin Monroe, EHS/EMS TeacherKatie Banks-Todd, Drama CoachConnie Allmond, EMS TeacherKori Green, EMS TeacherJenifer Davis, EMS Assistant PrincipalRod Luehrs, EMS TeacherTeresa Brentlinger, EMS TeacherErin Nichols, EMS TeacherMadi Nichols, StudentChloe Hamilton, StudentLisa Hamilton, PatronDebi Chadwick, PatronLora Meirowsky, Extend TeacherBill Riddle, PatronMichael Riddle, StudentMalinda Skillman, PatronAllyson Skillman, StudentJollene Schulte, StudentVeronica Fisher, StudentMaria Whitmer, StudentMara Stewart, StudentDarla Stewart, PatronAngela Cartmell, PatronHaley Morris, StudentJeff Jones, PatronHallie Harber, StudentHolly Harber, PatronJarrod Jones, StudentTanner Price, StudentNoah Crawford, StudentEmily Crank, StudentPayton Belair, StudentCrisanne Thompson, Right at Schools Director Debra Vogt, PatronJamie Jellison, PatronBrandi Lanning, PatronHope Lanning, StudentPaula Lanning, StudentOwen Lanning, StudentEllie Reynolds, StudentKatie Penner, StudentGay Kimble, PatronLauren Lowrey, StudentTJ Salas, StudentKristy Lowrey, PatronMary-Michael Gomez, StudentWiliam Gomez, PatronErin-Kate Gomez, PatronAvery Parsley, StudentHudson Vaught, StudentKathee Vaught, PatronJohn Vaught, PatronMartin Munoz, Band DirectorChris Johnson, Assistant Band DirectorPat Garrison, PatronHayden Greene, StudentMarcia Callaway, EMS Teacher Presley Johnson, Student Roger Johnson, Patron Teagan Jellison, Student Anna Jellison, Student Chancey Derringer, Patron Laynee Derringer, Student Gene Kimble, Patron Kierra Wright, Student Gabe Krug, Student Jennifer Krug, Patron Emma King, Student Karla King, EMS Principal Joann Staats, EMS Teacher Charles Staats, Patron Russell Baker, EMS Teacher Megan Parsley, Patron Eli Wonsetler, Student Channing Kimble, Student McKenna Garman, Student
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Sharon Waugh moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 15 minutes to discuss an individual employee’s performance under KOMA with Board members and the Superintendent present. Norm Wilks seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0.The board returned to general session at 6:15 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the agenda and Addendum (12b. Additional Personnel Recommendations). Seconded by Monty Hughey, the motion carried 7-0.
5. Approve Consent Calendar
Heather Nichols made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar. Seconded by Tom Storrer, the motion carried 7-0.Minutes, April 9, 2018 Regular meetingMinutes, April 16, 2018 Special meetingMinutes, April 30th 5th Monday meetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, CCredit Card ReportActivity ReportFY19 FeesFY19 KASB Legal Assistance Consultant Renewal Professional Staff Climate SurveyInformation
6. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
• Pioneer League Tennis – Trip Baker, Hayden Greene• Pioneer League Music Festival I Ratings Band/Orchestra: Sofia Adams, Emma Albert, Tylen Ashihi, Caden Burnett, Brook Carpenter, Hailey Chamberlain, Calvin Chastain, Jamie Clark, Connor Clausing, Emily Devine, John Ferley, Victoria George, Emily Glenn, Alissa Henson, Alexys Hurley, Presley Johnson, Carlie Karst, Shelby Karst, Erin Kistler, Gabriel Krug, Ethan Manke, Alexxis Martinez, Vanessa Nobert, Ethan O’Brien, Bobby Parlow, Gage Patty, Breckyn Poe, Meghan Ramsey, Walter Reynolds, Grady Rumsey, Tommy Salas, Abigail Schafer, Brock Schell, Ellie Scobee, Jaelyn Sheffler, Morgan Sirmans, Levi Skaggs, Aaron Smith, Rene Spencer, Noah Vail, Talene VanBeber, Mackenzie Weber, Elizabeth Westfall; String Quartet-Regan Lattey, Hayden Greene, Oliver Hanzlicek, Rylee Moring; Violin Solo – Regan Lattey;Alto Saxophone Solo – Michael Riddle;• Pioneer League Vocal Music Festival I Ratings 7th/8th grade Mixed Choir, 7th/8th grade Small Ensemble: Jaxson Brasuell, Patricia Butcher, Kalee Clark, Breklyn Craig, Chloie Delancey, Leila Fowler, Ryleigh Fowler, Evelyn Hughes, Ashlyn Luna, Alexis Mantanona, Haley Morris, Shanycia Murray, Madeline Nichols, Katie Penner, Fiona Rardin, Ellie Reynolds, Haylie Ross, Regan Baker, Abagale Cassity, Logan Clark, Joshua Crabtree, Ryan Hinson, Hope Lanning, Paula Lanning, Savannah Lunsford, Pheydra Lynes, Niomi Ndirangu, Makala Parker Jalen Rice, Kyra Russell, Jollene Schulte, Elizabeth Stout, Lyndsey Sullivan, Barry Summers, Makhaila Tillman, Terek White, Annabelle Wise;Individual performers: Avery Parsley, Katie Penner, Madeline Nichols, Alexis Mantanona, Tia Butcher, Josh Crabtree, Logan Clark, Abagale Cassity, Annabelle Wise• State Music Festival qualifiersSoloists: David Williams, Mara Stewart, Ethan Crank, Maria Whitmer, Mary-Michael Gomez, Hallie Harber, Gretchen Shum, Hudson Vaught; EHS Ladies, Encore, EHS Men: Abigail Chapman, Ethan Crank, Ethan Garrett, Mary-Michael Gomez, Shawn Gricol, Hallie Harber, Brady Hasting, August Holmes, Jarrod Jones, Jaden McAdoo, McKenzie McElvoy, Marie Lee Rodriquez, Gretchen Shum, Joshua Staats, Mara Stewart, Brittan Towner, Hudson Vaught, Maria Whitmer, David Williams;Instrumental: Allyson Skillman, Taylor Brock, Gretchen Shum, Mary-Michael Gomez, Callie Carter, Madeline Sammons• Jester Awards nomineesLead Actor: Ethan Crank; Lead Actress: Mary Michael Gomez; Supporting Actress: Maria Whitmer; Small Ensemble: David Williams, David Staats, Chris Flores, Jarrod Jones; Technical Achievement: Madeline Sammons; Pre-High School Performer: Tanner Price;Ensemble/Chorus: THE CAST; Lighting: Eli Wonsetler; Lobby Display: Drama Parents; Vocal Music Direction: Alex Piazza; Artistic Guest Director: Katie Banks-Todd; Overall Production: THE CASTCooper Crawford, Evan Van Arsdale, Ethan Crank, Josh Staats, Chris Florez, Jarrod Jones, David Staats, David Williams, Brady Hasting, Hudson Vaught, Mary Michael Gomez, Maria Whitmer, Isabelle Todd, Tanner Price, Louie Tipton, McKenna Garman, Gwyn Pic, Abby Chapman, Brittie Towner, Megan Scott, Kaylee Yordy, Noah Crawford, Jessica Baker, Payton Belair, Bailey Camien, Gwen Crank, Noah Crawford, Cooper Crawford, Naomi Galindo, Teagan Jellison, Emma King, Kira Schafer, Erica Sparks, Kathyrn Stout, Ellie Tharp, Kierra Wright, Evan Van Arsdale, Annie Whitmer, Tera McBride, Gracie Gomez, Hannah Gomez, William Gomez, Olivia Mihailoff, Lyndsey Sullivan, Elizabeth Stout, Aviana Para, Kiarra Davis, Brynn Liess, Abrahm Pena, Andrew Wilkinson, Taylor Meinen, Savannah Tillman, Ecko Morris, Jack Christy, Aiden Olson, McKenzie Reiswig, Madeline Johnson, Weiss Comer, Bailey Bright, Katelynn Avery, Kenzie Marshall, Theron Mays, Taylor Smith, Aaliyah Adimakwe, Gretchen Rapple, Noah Heilman, Mason McCluggage, Annabelle Wise, Sophia Crawford, Jamison Saferite• National DECA Competition – Marissa Eaton• State FCCLA – Chloe Hamilton, Destiny Johnson, Genesis McFadden, Lauren Lowrey• Kansas Governor’s Scholars – Channing Kimble, Lauren Lowrey• KAMSA Middle School of the Year – EMS Faculty and Staff
• Graduation Kevin House reviewed plans for BOE members’ participation in the EHS graduation ceremony on May 20th. • Construction Update Kellen Adams provided furniture schematics for Grandview, Blackmore, and the Performing Arts Center and discussed the moving plans for this summer. • Legislative UpdateNorm Wilks provided information on the tax plan and school finance plan that has been passed. The Kansas Supreme Court will review the plan on addressing adequacy and equity with a decision expected on or before June 30th.
9. FY19 Handbooks
Drafts of student and personnel handbooks were included in board materials for review and will be presented for approval in June.
10. Safe Routes to Schools
Kellen Adams presented a proposal with the City of El Dorado to add a sidewalk and crosswalk on McCollum from Main to Country Club Road, as well as plans to prepare a proposal for 6th street crosswalk and sidewalk access to Blackmore. Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the agreement with the City of El Dorado to construct a sidewalk with crosswalk on McCollum Road from Main to Country Club Road. Seconded by Ryan Carson, the motion carried 7-0.
11. Food Service Management Contract
Food service management bids have been reviewed and a recommendation from Kellen Adams was provided.Vicki Coash made a motion to approve a food service management contract with OPAA! as presented. Seconded by Tom Storrer, the motion carried 7-0.
12. District Health Insurance
Kellen Adams, Executive Director of Fiscal and Support Services, presented information regarding the opportunity for membership in the ESSDACK Health Insurance Group, which would result in a substantial price increase. Mr. Adams could not recommend joining the group and no action was taken.
13. EHS Boiler Bids
Kellen Adams reviewed bids received for boiler replacement at El Dorado High School and made a recommendation for bid acceptance.Monty Hughey made a motion to approve the bid from DCS in the amount of $91,833 and bid alternate of $11,897 to replace two boilers and hot water heaters Phase 2 at El Dorado High School as described in bid documents. Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 7-0.
14. FY 18 Amended Budget
We have been notified by the State of the need to republish our KPERS fund for flow-through payments from the State. Norm Wilks made a motion to approve publication of notice for a public hearing on Monday, June 11, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. regarding the requirement to amend the FY18 Budget for KPERS purposes as presented. Seconded by Ryan Carson, the motion carried 7-0.
15. USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations, which include the Addendum. Norm Wilks seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0. EmploymentPete Cisneros, Drivers Ed Instructor;Teresa Kasper, 3rd Grade Teacher at Blackmore Elementary;Shawn McGuire, Drivers Ed Instructor;ReplacementTiffany Harris, Elementary Art Teacher, replacing Renay Melcher;Robyn Higgins, EHS Assistant Volleyball Coach, replacing Kenzie Turner;DeAnna (DeDe) Pierce, Elementary Assistant Principal, replacing Trista Cuthbertson;Mason Schild, Industrial Arts Teacher @ EHS, replacing Robert Hall/Buford Pringle;ResignationLinda Barker, EMS Kay Club;Lorrie Briggs, ESOL Aide;Larissa Carpenter, SE Nurse Aide;Trista Cuthbertson, SE/JE Assistant Principal/EC Coordinator;Destiny Forge, Building Aide at Grandview Elementary;Sherry Hermreck, EMS Kay Club;Chris Johnson, EHS/EMS Assistant Band Director;Shirley Reed, Bus Aide;TransferIvanna DeWitt, from Part-time Evening Custodian at Jefferson to Full-time Evening Custodian at Blackmore Elementary;Iva Sawyer, from Jefferson Head Custodian to PAC Head Custodian;Summer EmploymentSuzan Bell, summer Tech Assistant, replacing Cathy Lattey;Ivanna DeWitt, Summer Custodian;Linda Edwards, Summer Custodian;Lora Goehring, EHS Summer School Teacher;Robyn Higgins, Summer Tech Assistant, replacing Cathy Lattey;Erin Nichols, EHS Summer School Teacher;Chelsea Jones, Summer Custodian;Shay Keith, Summer Tech Assistant;Monica King, Summer Custodian;Peggy King, Summer Food Service;Kent Kunkel, Summer Custodian;Brandi Lanning, Summer Food Service;Lorraine Lowrey, Summer Custodian;Charity Otto, Summer Custodian;Sheila Scheibmeir, Summer Custodian;Carlene Swank, Summer Custodian;Synthia Waldron, Summer Food Service;SUMMER ACADEMY:Pam Banion, AideKendra Fowler, AideMegan Litke, AideLouise Tharp, AideJamie Ball, TeacherAmanda Brewer, Teacher Lindsey Cooper, TeacherMisty Currier, TeacherJennifer Gingerich, TeacherWendy Goldsmith, TeacherRachelle Hildreth, TeacherDenise Johnson, TeacherAmy Kennedy, TeacherLeta Kocher, TeacherDeanna Korkki, TeacherVicki Manke, TeacherAmber McLaren, TeacherTaryn O’Brien, TeacherAdam Olson, TeacherSarah Pulliam, TeacherJim Shum, TeacherArlene Sponsel, TeacherTheresa Wessell, Teacher
• May 20 Graduation • May 23 Last Day for Students • May 23 Staff Recognition @ 2:30 p.m. • May 28 Memorial Day, Offices Closed • June 4 Summer Programs Begin
Board President Vicki Coash adjourned the meeting at 7:37 p.m.Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS