U.S.D. #490 Board of Education
January 14, 2019
The U.S.D. #490 Board of Education met in regular session on
Monday, January 14, 2019, in the Board of Education Office, 124 West
Central, El Dorado, Kansas.
These minutes may be approved or amended at the February 11, 2019 BOE meeting.
The U.S.D. #490 Board of Education met in regular session on Monday, June 11, 2018, in the Board of Education Office, 124 West Central, El Dorado, Kansas.I. Routine
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Norm Wilks at 6:00 p.m. 2. Roll Call
Members Present: Norm Wilks, PresidentVicki CoashMonty HugheyRob LaneHeather NicholsSharon WaughMembers Absent: Tom Storrer, Vice President Others Present: Sue Givens, SuperintendentMelissa Smith, BOE ClerkJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of TechnologyDr. Kellen Adams, Executive Director of Fiscal/Support ServicesDeanna Bonn, Butler County Times Gazette Teresa Tosh, Superintendent-Elect Andy Meinen, Patron Connor Meinen, Student Taylor Meinen, Student Angela Lynes, Patron Aysha Nkrumbih, Student Jeremy Johnson, Teacher Kurt Spivey, SRO Kevin House, Principal Morgan Marsh, Assistant Principal Stan Ruff, Principal Teresa Riedinger, Teacher Linda Swan, Teacher Melisa Wingfield, Teacher Randy Ford, Busby, Ford & Reimer LLC
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Board President Norm Wilks moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 30 minutes to discuss an individual employee’s performance pursuant to the KOMA non-elected personnel exemption with Board members and the Superintendent present. Monty Hughey seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.The board returned to general session at 6:30 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the agenda and addendum (11a. Additional Personnel Recommendation). Seconded by Sharon Waugh the motion carried 6-0.
5. Approve Consent Calendar
Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar. Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 6-0.Minutes, December 10, 2018 Regular meetingMinutes, December 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19 & 29th Special meetingsFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, C Credit Card Report Activity Report Information
6. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
• District Anti-Bullying Poster Contest - EHS 1st place winner – Kira Schafer; EMS 1st place winner – Aysha Nkrumbih; Elementary 1st Place winner – Taylor Meinen• Patriot League Wrestling Champions - Levi Wittenberg (155 lbs.), Collin Scott (215 lbs.)• State Debate - Myranda Drake, Luke Walker, Taylor Willis, Breckin Olson, Ashton Gingerich, Ben Barker, Isabelle Haahr. • Board of Education Recognition Month - USD 490 Board Members were honored for their dedicated leadership in public education and continuing service to the children of this community.
• El Dorado High School - EHS Principal Kevin House, along with Assistant Principal Morgan Marsh, and teachers Linda Swan and Teresa Riedinger shared information on Career/Academic Planning using the Kuder Navigation program and how that information is used during the student-led CAP conferences. Teacher Jeremy Johnson and JAG sponsor James Tully shared information on the Pride Points student reward system and EHS Cats Corner, a student-operated store housed in the EHS Library.• Graduation Requirements – EHS Principal Kevin House reviewed USD 490 graduation requirements. • Strategic Plan – Sue Givens shared that we are in the 4th year of the Strategic Plan. A special meeting for the annual session with Strategic Plan committee Co-chairs has been scheduled for Wednesday, February 20th at 5:30 p.m. A joint work session with the El Dorado City Commission has been scheduled for Wednesday, January 30th to discuss tennis facilities.
9. Friend of Education
The following nominee for Confidence in Kansas Public Education Task Force Friends of Education awards was presented for consideration:Grizzly Bowl Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the Friends of Education nominee as presented. Sharon Waugh seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.
10. District Audit Report
Randy Ford from Busby, Ford & Reimer provided an overview of findings from the district’s annual financial audit, reporting a clean audit.Heather Nichols made a motion to accept the annual district financial audit as conducted by Busby, Ford & Reimer. Vicki Coash seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.
11. Summer School
Sue Givens presented K-12 Summer Programs for consideration.Monty Hughey made a motion to approve 2019 summer school programs as presented. Vicki Coash seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.
12. Summer Food Service Program
Dr. Kellen Adams presented details on a proposed summer food service program. Sharon Waugh made a motion to instruct administration to coordinate with OPAA! to provide a free summer meal site at Blackmore Elementary as presented. Vicki Coash seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.
13. KASB Policy Updates
Copies of the proposed KASB policy recommendations were provided for review and consideration for final approval at the February BOE meeting.
14. USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations, including the Addendum. Sharon Waugh seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0. EmploymentDestiny Bowlin, EHS Assistant Bowling Coach;Alisha Cubbage, Sub Bus Aide;Susan Page, Sub Bus Aide;ReplacementTerry Asberry, Skelly Evening Custodian, replacing Nathaniel White;Barbara Kral, EHS Foreign Language Arts Teacher, replacing Bev Buster;ResignationAshley Hill, Skelly Building Aide;Timothy Kemp, Sub Driver;Paula Thornton, Bus Aide;Marsha Todd, .5 Family Liaison;RetirementDennis Gates, Maintenance;TerminationHeather Delancey, EMS Evening Custodian;Nathaniel White, Skelly Evening Custodian;TransferRichard Garbee, from EMS Assistant Boys Tennis Coach to EMS Head Boys Tennis Coach;Shay Keith, from EMS Head Boys Tennis Coach to EMS Assistant Boys Tennis Coach;Glenda Kerstetter, from Bus Aide to Sub Bus Aide;
• January 21 – Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday (No School)
Board President Norm Wilks adjourned the meeting at 7:40 p.m. Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS