U.S.D. #490 Board of EducationDecember 14, 2020
The U.S.D. #490 Board of Education met in regular session on
Monday, December 14, 2020, in the Board of Education Office, 124 West
Central, El Dorado, Kansas.
These minutes may be approved or amended at the January 11, 2021, BOE meeting.
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Tom Storrer at 6:00 p.m. 2. Roll Call
Members Present: Tom Storrer, PresidentHeather Nichols, Board Vice PresidentRob LaneHaley RemsbergRoger SmithSharon WaughNorm Wilks Others Present: Teresa Tosh, Superintendent Melissa Smith, BOE Clerk Kathy Robertson, Executive Director of Fiscal & Support ServicesJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of TechnologyScott Vang, Athletic/Activities DirectorChandra Spears, OPAA! Director of Nutrition Services State Representative Will Carpenter
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Sharon Waugh moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 30 minutes to discuss an individual employee’s performance pursuant to the KOMA non-elected personnel with Board members, the Superintendent and Executive Director of Fiscal & Support Services present. Roger Smith seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0.The board returned to general session at 6:30 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.At 6:30 p.m. Heather Nichols moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 10 minutes to discuss an individual employee’s performance pursuant to the KOMA non-elected personnel with Board members, the Superintendent and Executive Director of Fiscal & Support Services present. Roger Smith seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0.The board returned to general session at 6:40 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the agenda and addendum (2a. Additional Financial Report, 8a. Additional Personnel Recommendations). Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 7-0.
5. Approval of the Consent Calendar
Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar as stated below. Haley Remsberg seconded the motion; the motion carried 7-0.Minutes, November 9th, 2020 Regular meetingMinutes, November 30, 2020 5th Monday meetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, CCredit Card ReportEMS/EHS Activity ReportsInformation
6. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
• Legislative Feedback – Representative Will Carpenter discussed possible topics for the upcoming legislative session.• Food Service – Chandra Spears, OPAA! Director of Nutrition Services, provided a snapshot of meal service offerings during COVID and shared participation numbers from the Spring through fall semesters.• KASB Convention – Norm Wilks & Rob Lane summarized sessions they attended virtually at the KASB Convention.• Extracurricular Activities – Scott Vang shared fall activity participation information.• Facilities Update – Kathy Robertson shared that a report on the EHS pool leak will be available tomorrow and that demolition on the old house behind the bus barn is starting. Once demolition is complete the parking lot area will be leveled – the job will be complete by January 4th.
8. Credit Card Vendor
Kathy Robertson shared reasoning for the request to change the District’s credit card vendor to Arvest Bank. Rob Lane made a motion to approve Arvest Bank as the District’s credit card vendor as recommended. Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 7-0.
9. Mower Purchase
Kathy Robertson presented bids for the purchase of a wide-area mower. Rob Lane made a motion to approve the bid from PrairieLand Partners, LLC in the amount of $56,671.23 for purchase of a John Deere 1600 Turbo Series III as presented. Seconded by Roger Smith, the motion carried 7-0.
10. Reopening Plan Update
Teresa Tosh talked about an additional 20 hours of professional development available to be used by April 30, 2021, shared the updated KDHE shortened quarantine period recommendations, and provided details on the updated Gating Criteria recommended by KSDE. Rob Lane made a motion to approve the updated Gating Criteria as presented. Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 7-0.
11. Approve USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations as presented, which includes the Addendum. Haley Remsberg seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0. Additional DutiesYvonne Brown, Sub Custodian;Ryan Hull, Freshman Girls Basketball Coach;Christina Martin, Sub Custodian;ReplacementKaylin Beel, 7th Grade Boys Basketball Head Coach, replacing Adam McCormick;ResignationPamela Frazier, Bus Aide;Jimmy Fulcher, EHS Assistant Swim Coach;Chelsea Isaacs, Blackmore Elementary Nurse Aide;Theresa Wessell, 8th Grade Assistant Volleyball Coach;TransferFelicia Campbell, from Bus Driver to Sub Bus Driver;Paige Olsen, from Substitute to EHS Science Teacher, replacing Angelica Tesch;Jody Pringle, from Blackmore Building Aide to CNA;Substitute TeacherValerie Phillips; Shelley Reiswig;TerminationRuth Krug, Bus Driver
• December 21 - Staff Workday (No School)• December 22 through January 3 - Christmas Break (No School)• January 4 - Workday (No School)• January 5 – Students return
Board President Tom Storrer adjourned the meeting at 8:15 p.m.Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS