These minutes may be approved or amended at the June 10, 2019, BOE meeting.
The Board of Education of USD 490 met in regular session on Monday, May 13, 2019, in the Board of Education Office, 124 West Central, El Dorado, Kansas.
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Norm Wilks at 6:00 p.m.
2. Roll Call
Members Present: Norm Wilks, PresidentTom Storrer, Vice PresidentVicki CoashMonty HugheyHeather NicholsSharon Waugh Member Absent: Rob Lane Others Present: Sue Givens, SuperintendentMelissa Smith, BOE ClerkJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of Technology Teresa Tosh, Superintendent-Elect Kellen Adams, Assistant Superintendent Kevin House, Principal Lora Meirowsky, Teacher Hillary Koehn, PATS DeDe Pierce, Assistant Principal/EC Coordinator; Les Limon, Counselor Lindsay Cooper, Teacher Jim Shum, TeacherKathy Shum, TeacherGretchen Shum, PatronJosh Shum, StudentMarci Beattie, PatronRyan Haag, StudentKent Kunkel TeacherDaisee Kohman, StudentAntonio Holquin, PatronDiana Brown, PatronJennifer Krug, PatronGabe Krug, StudentTod Johnson, TeacherDenise Johnson, TeacherMorgan Johnson, StudentHeather Bruce, TeacherSibhuan Mora-Bruce, StudentMadison Young, StudentSally Young, PatronTom Young, PatronMelisa Wingfield, TeacherAshton King, StudentSebreena King, PatronJohn King, PatronJohn Scobee, PatronLynn Scobee, PatronEllie Scobee, StudentDave Stewart, Gravity::Works ArchitectsDeanna Bonn, Butler County Times Gazette
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Board President Norm Wilks moved to recess into an executive session fora period of 30 minutes to discuss an individual employee’s performance under the non-elected personnel KOMA exemption with Board members, the Superintendent, and Superintendent-Elect present. Sharon Waugh seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.The board returned to general session at 6:30 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the agenda and addendum (16a – Additional Personnel Recommendations). Seconded by Monty Hughey, the motion carried 6-0.
5. Approve Consent Calendar
Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar. Seconded by Tom Storrer, the motion carried 6-0. Minutes, April 8, 2019 Regular meetingMinutes, April 29, 2019 Regular meetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, CCredit Card ReportActivity ReportEarly Graduation RequestsKansas Assessment Median PerformanceInformation
6. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
• DAR Essay Winner - Taylor Meinen • State FCCLA: Kimberly Yates – Gold medal; Ellie Scobee - silver medal; Leila Fowler - bronze medal. • State Music I ratings: EHS Concert Choir, Encore, and soloists Hudson Vaught and Alexis Mantanona; • State SkillsUSA: Daisee Kohman and Morgan Johnson – earning Silver; Gabe Krug, Nayrelid Jimenez, Victoria George, Madison Young • National Speech/Debate qualifiers: Ben Barker, David Staats, Leenah Al-Turki; • State Forensics: David Staats & Ben Barker - 2nd Place; Leenah Al-Turki - 3rd Place; Josh & David Staats - 5th Place; David Williams - 6th Place; Trip Baker, Isabelle Haahr; • State Tennis: Doubles – Josh Shum & Ryan Haag – 8th place; Ashton King, Kai Wernli & Tyler Dunbar • Jester Awards nominees: Emma King and Josh Staats; • Governor’s Scholars: Jarin Koehler and Siubhan Mora-Bruce
• KESA (KS Accreditation System) Outside Validation Team Visit – Julie Jensen and Sue Givens shared information on the April 29th KESA Outside Validation Team Visit. • Parents As Teachers - DeDe Pierce, Assistant Principal/Early Childhood Coordinator and Hilary Koehn, Parent Educator shared highlights of the Parents as Teachers program and discussed goals for next year. • Graduation - Kevin House reviewed plans for BOE members’ participation in the EHS graduation ceremony on May 19th. • Insurance Committee Update – Kellen Adams shared that 175 employees take advantage of district health insurance and that employee health insurance rates for the 2019-20 school year will only increase .1%. • Legislative Update – Board President Norm Wilks provided information on the school finance plan that has been passed.
Monty Hughey left the meeting at 7:25 p.m.
9. FY20 Handbooks
Drafts of student and personnel handbooks were included in board materials for review and will be presented for approval in June.
10. Fitness Trail Naming Request
The district fitness trail located at the middle school was completed through significant donation of both materials and labor from SPS Pavement. Counselor Les Limon and PE Teacher Lindsay Cooper provided a brief overview of the development of the trail. Administration is requesting that the trail be named the SPS Pavement ~ USD 490 Fitness Trail, with appropriate signage to be commissioned. Vicki Coash made a motion to approve naming the district fitness trail the “SPS Pavement ~ USD 490 Fitness Trail” in honor of the lead donor to the project. Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 5-0.
11. FY20 Fees
Sue Givens provided a recommendation regarding textbook and school fees for the 2019-20 School Year.Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve lowering school fees as recommended. Heather Nichols seconded the motion. The motion carried 5-0.
12. FY20 School Meal Prices
As there is no federal requirement to increase school meal prices, administration requests that the board keep FY20 school meal prices at FY19 rates.Vicki Coash made a motion to approve no increase to school meal prices for the 2019-20 School Year. Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 5-0.
13. Facility Usage Fees
Recommended pricing for use of school facilities was presented. Tom Storrer made a motion to approve facility usage fees for the 2019-20 School Year as presented. Seconded by Vicki Coash, the motion carried 5-0.
14. Support Services Facility Design Services
Based upon references and information presented in the architect selection process, Sue Givens recommended Gravity::Works for design services for the Support Services Facility. Tom Storrer made a motion instructing administration to secure an agreement for design services for the Support Services Facility with Gravity::Works Architects. Seconded by Sharon Waugh, the motion carried 5-0.
15. Fleet Capital Purchase Adjustment
Kellen Adams presented recommendations for alternate capital purchases to the 64-passenger bus scheduled for FY20, based upon student transportation needs.Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve the adjustment to the FY20 Capital Outlay plan to replace the 64-passenger bus purchase with the purchase of a 14-passenger bus from Kansas Truck in the amount of $53,930 and a 29-passenger bus from Kansas Truck in the amount of $59,097. Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 5-0.
16. Approval of Bids for Activity Center Roof
Bids have been solicited for replacement of the Activity Center Roof, cost of which will be shared with the City. Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the bid from DSC/Stanfield Roofing in the amount of $225,143 for replacement of the Activity Center Roof as presented with cost to be shared with the City. Seconded by Tom Storrer, the motion carried 5-0.
17. FY19 Amended Budget
Assistant Superintendent Kellen Adams explained audit adjustments to the FY19 Budget that require republication and a hearing in order to access maximum state funding authority for Parents as Teachers.Vicki Coash made a motion to approve publication of notice for a public hearing on June 10 at 5:45 p.m. regarding the amended FY19 Budget. Seconded by Sharon Waugh, the motion carried 5-0.
18. BOE Election Options Discussion
Sue Givens and Norm Wilks discussed election options for Board officers pursuant to a change in legislation. Discussion will continue at the June Board meeting.
19. USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations which include the addendum. Tom Storrer seconded the motion. The motion carried 5-0.EmploymentMariauna Mays, Bus Aide, Sub Van Driver;ReplacementLuke Claar, EMS Assistant Principal, replacing Jenifer Davis;Jessica Nguyen, EHS/Extend ELA Teacher, replacing Kelly Slaton;ResignationJamie Ball, EMS Assistant Girls Basketball Coach;Vickie Boss, EMS Science Teacher;Brandon Leach, EMS Football Coach;Kristeen Thompson, Skelly 4th Grade Teacher;
• May 19 Graduation • May 21 Last Day for Students • May 22 Staff Recognition @ 8:00 a.m. • May 27 Memorial Day, Offices Closed • June 3 Summer Programs Begin
Board President Norm Wilks adjourned the meeting at 8:15 p.m. Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490 Butler County, KS