These minutes may be amended or approved at the February 10, 2020 BOE meeting.
The Board of Education of USD 490 met in regular session on Monday, January 13, 2020, in the Board of Education Office, 124 West Central, El Dorado, Kansas.I. Routine
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Norm Wilks at 6:00 p.m.
2. Roll Call
Members Present: Norm Wilks, PresidentTom Storrer, Vice PresidentVicki CoashRob LaneHeather NicholsHaley RemsbergSharon WaughOthers Present: Teresa Tosh, Superintendent Melissa Smith, BOE Clerk Kathy Robertson, Executive Director of Fiscal/Support ServicesJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of TechnologyBruce Lolling, EHS PrincipalSusan Holthaus, GE PrincipalDeDe Pierce, Elementary Assistant PrincipalDeanna Bonn, Butler County Times GazetteKatie Banks-Todd, PatronIzzy Todd, StudentPatrick Todd, PatronBenjamin Todd, StudentSophia Crawford, StudentSherri Crawford, TeacherBrance Crawford, PatronHolton Silcott, StudentCameron Iverson, PatronJessi Iverson, PatronTaylor Iverson, StudentChloe Iverson, StudentRandy Ford, Busby, Ford & Reimer LLCErin Winter, Busby, Ford & Reimer LLC
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Norm Wilks moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 30 minutes to discuss individual employee performance with Board members and the Superintendent present. Tom Storrer seconded the motion. The motion carried 5-0.Rob Lane and Vicki Coash entered the meeting at 6:02 p.m. The board returned to general session at 6:30 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the agenda and addendum (Additional Personnel Recommendations). Seconded by Tom Storrer the motion carried 7-0.
5. Approval of the Consent Calendar
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar including revised financial statements as presented. Tom Storrer seconded the motion; the motion carried 7-0.Minutes, December 9th, 2019 Regular meetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, CCredit Card ReportEMS/EHS Activity Report
6. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
• All-State Honor Choir - Sophia Crawford, Isabelle Todd, Chloe Iverson, Addison Penner• Horizon Award Winner – Kacie Johnson, EMS Special Education Teacher • National Speech & Debate Association’s Honor Society – Melisa Wingfield, EHS Teacher• National School Board Recognition Month - USD 490 Board Members were honored for their dedicated leadership in public education and continuing service to the children of this community. • KASB Leadership Academy – Norm Wilks and Teresa Tosh
8. District Audit Report
Randall Ford of Busby, Ford & Reimer, LLC presented findings from the recently completed district audit. Heather Nichols made a motion to accept the annual financial audit as presented by the district auditing firm of Busby, Ford & Reimer, LLC. Seconded by Tom Storrer the motion carried 7-0.
9. Reorganization of the Board of Education
A. Elect Board President Heather Nichols made a motion to elect Tom Storrer Board President. Seconded by Rob Lane, the motion carried 6-1 (Tom Storrer abstained). B. Elect Board Vice-President Norm Wilks made a motion to elect Heather Nichols Board Vice-President. Seconded by Rob Lane, the motion carried 6-1 (Heather Nichols abstained).C. Appoint Board Representative to Serve on Grandview Site Council replacing MontyHughey Norm Wilks made a motion selecting Haley Remsberg to serve on the Grandview Site Council. Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 7-0.D. Appoint Board Representative to Serve on the Educational Facility Authority of ButlerCounty for 2019-2020 replacing Monty Hughey Rob Lane made a motion to appoint Tom Storrer to serve on the Educational Facility Authority ofButler County and Heather Nichols to serve as Alternate Member. Seconded by Sharon Waugh,the motion carried 7-0.
• El Dorado High School – EHS Principal Bruce Lolling and student Holton Silcott sharedhighlights from 1st semester, showcasing student activities, community service projects and studentenrichment opportunities.• Larry Parsons Scholarship – Kathy Robertson and Teresa Tosh shared that this scholarship willnow be handled by Partners In Education in order to better the investment opportunities. • Legislative Report – Superintendent Teresa Tosh reviewed information provided on the Accountability Report that is required by the Legislature to be made available to the public via the school website. Norm Wilks left the meeting at 7:20 p.m.
11. Summer School
DeDe Pierce presented K-12 Summer Programs information.Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve 2020 summer school programs as presented. Seconded by Haley Remsberg, the motion carried 6-0. Norm Wilks returned to the meeting at 7:23 p.m.
12. Blackmore Sidewalk
Kathy Robertson presented quotes for a sidewalk addition to the current west sidewalk at Blackmore Elementary. Heather Nichols made a motion to approve the bid from Calvin OPP Concrete Inc. in the amount of $9340 as presented. Seconded by Norm Wilks, the motion carried 7-0.
13. EHS Powerlifting Supplemental
Teresa Tosh presented information on a proposed Powerlifting after school program. Board approval is required to be added to the supplemental salary schedule. Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve the EHS Powerlifting program as presented and adding to the supplemental schedule at the base level of $1,210. Seconded by Vicki Coash, the motion carried 7-0.
14. Approve USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations which include the addendum. Rob Lane seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0. Additional DutiesMelissa Mahoney, EHS Assistant Girls Soccer Coach, replacing Jack Heim;Substitute TeacherSteve Fellers, Robyn Higgins, Melissa Wade, Tamara WorcesterMarina Roth – Elementary buildings SubstituteEmploymentDouglas Varner, Bus Driver;RetirementSherry Conrad, Skelly Elementary Secretary;
15. Superintendent’s Contract
Norm Wilks made a motion to extend, for an additional year, the existing contract for Teresa Tosh as Superintendent of Schools. Heather Nichols seconded the motion; the motion carried 7-0.
January 20 – Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday (No School)
Board President Tom Storrer adjourned the meeting at 7:31 p.m.Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS