Minutes of the June 11, 2018 Board of Education Meeting
These minutes may be approved or amended at the July 9, 2018 BOE meeting.
The U.S.D. #490 Board of Education met in regular session on Monday, June 11, 2018, in the Board of Education Office, 124 West Central, El Dorado, Kansas.1. Public Hearing on Republishing 2017-18 Budget
Vicki Coash opened the Public Hearing at 6:00 p.m. Hearing no comments from the public Vicki Coash closed the Budget Hearing at 6:00 p.m.
REGULAR MEETINGI. Routine
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Vicki Coash at 6:00 p.m. 2. Roll Call
Members Present: Vicki Coash, PresidentNorm Wilks, Vice PresidentRyan CarsonHeather NicholsTom StorrerSharon Waugh Members Absent: Monty Hughey Others Present: Sue Givens, SuperintendentMelissa Smith, Board ClerkJohn Giffin, Butler County Times GazetteKellen Adams, Executive Director of Fiscal/Support ServicesJeanie Doolittle, District NurseLynda Sharp, HR DirectorMelisa Wingfield, EHS TeacherDylan Wittum, StudentCale Carson, StudentEzekiel Kemboi, StudentChristan Price, StudentAllison Barkus, BFED CoalitionTammy Oida-Avila, BFED CoalitionBen McDaniel, Patron
3. Approval of the Agenda
Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the agenda and Addendum (13b. Additional Personnel Recommendations). Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 6-0.
4. Approve Consent Calendar
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar. Seconded by Tom Storrer, the motion carried 6-0.Minutes, May 14, 2018 Regular meetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, CCredit Card ReportActivity ReportEHS/EMS Spring Activity ReportsEarly Graduation RequestsClassified Employee Survey ResultsInformation
5. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
• State Track Medalists: Hunter Armijo, Quistion Wade, Cale Carson, Ezekiel Kemboi, Myles Walker, Dylan Wittum, and Christian Price. • NCFL Qualifiers: David Staats, Ben Barker, David Williams, Isabelle Haahr, Hudson Vaught, Breckin Olson, Ashton Gingerich. Melisa Wingfield and Roger Griggs - Sponsors• Gold Level Breastfeeding Employee Support Award: USD 490 has received the Gold Level “Breastfeeding Employees Support Award” from the Kansas Breastfeeding Coalition.• KSPTA Competition: Tonya Mourn - 3rd Place Rookie Transit
• Summer School – Superintendent Givens reported that 250 students are currently enrolled insummer academy classes at Skelly, 12 students are participating in EMS Course Completion, 46 students are participating in EHS Course Completion and 64 students are enrolled in DriversEducation. • Construction – Exterior and finish work continues on the PAC as well as interior detailing. Ownership of Jefferson has been transferred to Simpson – demolition will be complete by July 13th. The online auction of surplus items is open and will close on June 19th; all items must be picked up by June 30th. Everything has been removed from Lincoln and Grandview with the exception of auction items. • Summer Capital Outlay Projects – Kellen Adams reviewed summer projects including Skelly Library reconfiguration, kitchen expansion, STEM lab sink installation, and retention pond improvements; and carpet installation at El Dorado High School, as well as improvements to the JV baseball field and dugouts.
8. FY19 Handbooks
Updated, final edits have been made to drafts presented in May.Vicki Coash made a motion to approve student and personnel handbooks with edits as presented. Seconded by Ryan Carson, the motion carried 6-0.
9. Year-End Budget Transfers
Annual authorization for end-of-year budget transfers in order to close out the FY18 budget and utilize maximum budget authority was requested. Sharon Waugh made a motion to authorize the superintendent to make end-of-year budget transfers to close out and maximize budget authority for the FY18 budget. Norm Wilks seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.
10. Bond Project Furniture Bids
Kellen Adams, Executive Director of Fiscal and Support Services, reviewed furniture bids received and made a recommendation for bid acceptance. Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the bid from the State of Kansas Department of Administration in the amount of $679,680.28 for furniture at Blackmore Elementary, Grandview Elementary, and the PAC as described in bid documents. Seconded by Sharon Waugh, the motion carried 6-0.
11. Revised 2017-18 Budget
Approval of the revised budget is required for KPERS fund transfers.Heather Nichols made a motion to approve the Revised 2017-18 Budget as published. Seconded by Tom Storrer, the motion carried 6-0.
12. Board Self-Evaluation
Board self-evaluation materials were distributed for completion, return, and tallying.
13. Policy Updates
Copies of the proposed KASB policy recommendations were provided for review and consideration for final approval at the July BOE meeting.
14. Executive Session
At 6:54 p.m. Vicki Coash moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 20 minutes to discuss individual employee performance under KOMA with Board members and the Superintendent present. Ryan Carson seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.The board returned to general session at 7:14 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
15. USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations, which include the Addendum. Tom Storrer seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0. Summer EmploymentTonya Cogan, Summer Academy Director;Deanna Lane, Summer Custodian;Stephanie Lister, Summer Custodian;Brenda Nelson, Summer Academy Teacher;ReplacementBradley Boone, Assistant Band Director, replacing Christopher Johnson;Benjamin McDaniel, Blackmore Elementary Music Teacher, replacing Gabrielle Longfellow;Joann Staats, KAY Club Sponsor, replacing Sherry Hermreck and Linda Barker;Elizabeth Tanner, 7th Grade EMS English Language Arts Teacher, replacing Lori Furgason;Kari Vang, 8th Grade EMS Math Teacher, replacing Misty Jeffress;Rescind ContractMason Schild, Industrial Arts Teacher at El Dorado High School;ResignationDeborah Blake, Skelly Evening Custodian;Cammy Brown, Lincoln Elementary Building Aide;Kendra Fowler, Jefferson/Lincoln Title I Aide;Shay Keith, EMS Head Tennis Coach;Gabrielle Longfellow, Jefferson/Lincoln Vocal Music Teacher;Zach Neuman, EHS/EMS Accompanist;McKenzie Turner, Assistant High School Volleyball Coach;TransferEmma June Davis, from Bus Driver to Utility Clerk, replacing Nathan Delancey;Misty Jeffress, from 8th Grade EMS Math Teacher to 6th Grade EMS Math/Social Studies Teacher;
• June 28 Summer School Ends • July 2 2018-19 Online Enrollment Opens • July 4 Independence Day, District Offices Closed
Board President Vicki Coash adjourned the meeting at 7:18 p.m.Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS