These minutes may be approved or amended at the February 8, 2021 Board of Education Meeting.
The U.S.D. #490 Board of Education met in regular session on Monday, January 11, 2021 in the Board of Education Office, 124 West Central, El Dorado, Kansas.
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Tom Storrer at 6:00 p.m.
2. Roll Call
Members Present: Tom Storrer, President Heather Nichols, Board Vice PresidentRob LaneHaley RemsbergRoger SmithSharon Waugh
Member Absent: Norm Wilks Others Present: Teresa Tosh, Superintendent Melissa Smith, BOE Clerk Kathy Robertson, Executive Director of Fiscal & Support ServicesJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of Technology Jelinda Keeling, TeacherJim Shum, TeacherDeena Eaton, TeacherTodd Miller, Teacher
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Haley Remsberg moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 30 minutes to discuss an individual employee’s performance pursuant to the KOMA non-elected personnel with Board members and the Superintendent present. Roger Smith seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.Teresa Tosh exited Executive Session at 6:17 p.m.The board returned to general session at 6:30 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.At 6:30 p.m. Sharon Waugh moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 5 minutes to discuss an individual employee’s performance pursuant to the KOMA non-elected personnel with Board members present. Rob Lane seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0. The board returned to general session at 6:35 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve the agenda and addendum (10a. Additional Personnel Recommendations). Seconded by Haley Remsberg, the motion carried 6-0.
5. Approval of the Consent Calendar
Haley Remsberg made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar as stated below. Heather Nichols seconded the motion; the motion carried 6-0.Minutes, December 14TH, 2020 Regular meetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, CCredit Card ReportEHS/EMS Activity ReportsInformation
6. Comments from the Public
Jelinda Keeling addressed the board regarding staff safety and leave options due to COVID absences.
• National School Board Recognition Month - USD 490 Board Members were honored for their dedicated leadership in public education and continuing service to the children of this community.
8. Reorganization of the Board of Education
A. Elect Board President Tom Storrer made a motion to elect Heather Nichols as Board President. Seconded by Rob Lane, the motion carried 6-0. B. Elect Board Vice-President Heather Nichols made a motion to elect Sharon Waugh as Board Vice-President. Seconded by Tom Storrer, the motion carried 6-0. C. Resolution 21-13 Authorizing Signatures of current board officers on checks until March 1, 2021 Rob Lane made a motion to approve Resolutions 21-13 as presented. Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 6-0. D. Establish Mileage Reimbursement at Federal Rate of .56¢ as of January 1, 2021 Rob Lane made a motion to approve the Federal Mileage Reimbursement rate at .56¢ effective January 1, 2021 as presented. Seconded by Tom Storrer the motion carried 6-0.
• EHS Pool Update – Kathy Robertson shared that she has contacted two construction companiesregarding repairs to the EHS pool. Due to the age of the pool (48 years) the repairs may be quiteextensive. The pool is currently closed for use. • Reopening Plan Update – Part #1 - Teresa Tosh discussed the opportunity to utilize a KSDE waiver of the 1116-hour rule to replace three student contact days with staff professional development days and recommended January 29th, February 26th, and April 5th. Heather Nichols made a motion to approve January 29th, February 26th, and April 5th as professional development days. Seconded by Sharon Waugh, the motion carried 6-0. Part #2 - Because the federal government did not extend FCCRA leave, Teresa Tosh discussed the district's options to extend portions of the FCCRA leave as an added employee benefit, retroactive to January 1, 2021. More information will be shared once specifics are in place. Part #3 – Teresa Tosh shared updated gating criteria considerations providing clarification on how to utilize state, county, and district data. More emphasis will be placed on local data and student absentee data will be viewed as well. Rob Lane made a motion to approve the updated Gating Criteria as presented. Seconded by Tom Storrer, the motion carried 6-0.
10. Score Table Agreement
Teresa Tosh reviewed the updated agreement for the El Dorado Sports Foundation to provide funding to purchase a new Digital Scoreboards brand 10’ Jumbo Series (“Score Table”) for the gymnasium. Haley Remsberg made a motion to approve the Score Table Agreement as presented. Seconded by Roger Smith, the motion carried 6-0.
11. Bus Purchase
Kathy Robertson presented recommendations for purchase of a 20-passenger bus. Rob Lane made a motion to approve the bid from Kansas Truck Equipment in the amount of $58,688.00 as presented. Seconded by Sharon Waugh, the motion carried 6-0.
12. KASB Policy Updates
Mid-year policy updates from KASB were shared for action in February.
13. Approve USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Rob Lane made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations as presented, which includes the Addendum. Tom Storrer seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0. ReplacementChristi Hicks, EMS Boys Basketball Assistant Coach, replacing Kody Melugin;ResignationBrenda Cole, EMS Title I Aide;Brandon Leach, EHS Industrial Arts Teacher (eff end of SY 2020-21);RetirementLynda Sharp, Director of Human Resources;TransferDominica Locke, from EHS Assistant Softball Coach to Head Softball Coach, replacing Scott Camien;Substitute TeachersHeidi Burch, Braden Kirkpatrick, Clayton Woods, Katie Youngers
14. Superintendent’s Contract
Tom Storrer made a motion to extend, for an additional year, the existing contract for Teresa Tosh as Superintendent of Schools. Sharon Waugh seconded the motion; the motion carried 6-0.
• January 18 – Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday (No School)• January 29 – Professional Development Day (No School)
Board President Heather Nichols adjourned the meeting at 7:21 p.m.Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS