These minutes may be approved or amended at the March 4, 2019 Board of Education Meeting.
The U.S.D. #490 Board of Education met in regular session on Monday, February 11, 2019, in the Board of Education Office, 124 West Central, El Dorado, Kansas.
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Norm Wilks at 6:00 p.m.
2. Roll Call
Members Present:Norm Wilks, President Tom Storrer, Vice PresidentVicki CoashRob LaneHeather NicholsSharon WaughMembers Absent: Monty Hughey Others Present: Sue Givens, SuperintendentMelissa Smith, BOE ClerkJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of TechnologyDr. Kellen Adams, Executive Director of Fiscal/Support Services Teresa Tosh, Superintendent-ElectKim Koop, Director of Information ServicesKarla King, EMS PrincipalJenifer Davis, EMS Assistant PrincipalErin Nichols, TeacherKori Green, TeacherMichelle Lang, TeacherLora Meirowsky, TeacherDeanna Bonn, Butler County Times Gazette
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Board President Norm Wilks moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 30 minutes to discuss an individual employee’s performance pursuant to the KOMA non-elected personnel exemption with Board members, the Superintendent, and Superintendent-Elect Teresa Tosh present. Vicki Coash seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.The board returned to general session at 6:30 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.Tom Storrer left the meeting at 6:31 p.m.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the agenda and addendum (9a. Additional Personnel Recommendation). Seconded by Heather Nichols the motion carried 5-0.
5. Approve Consent Calendar
Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar. Seconded by Rob Lane, the motion carried 6-0. Minutes, January 14, 2019 Regular meetingMinutes, January 30th, 2019 Special Meeting (Work Session)Financial Reports, enclosures A, B, CCredit Card ReportAudit Agreement RenewalEHS/EMS Activity ReportsInformation
6. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
• KASB Leadership Academy – Level I - Rob Lane, Heather Nichols, Sharon Waugh; Level II - Norm Wilks and Sue Givens• KASB Publication Awards – Kim Koop: District Sweepstakes winner for the 1700-4999 enrollment category; Award of Excellence for the Wildcat Preschool Brochure; and Certificates of Merit for District Activities Calendar, BG Stadium Annual Report, USD 490 eNews, Chalkboard Chatter, and the district Facebook page. Karla King received a Certificate of Merit for El Dorado Middle School Newsletter;Tom Storrer returned to the meeting at 6:36 p.m.
• El Dorado Middle School - EMS Principal Karla King and teacher Erin Nichols shared information on the 27 clubs available to students for enrichment, including Kindness, Spanish, Retro Games, Kickball, and Breakout Challenge. BOE members were then given the opportunity to try the Breakout Challenge. • Legislative Update – Norm Wilks reviewed a list of Senate and House bills affecting education and encouraged Board Members to contact State Legislators.
9. Curriculum Resource Adoptions
Teachers Kori Green and Michelle Lang along with Executive Director of Curriculum Julie Jensen presented recommendations for K-12 Social Studies curriculum resource materials. District Leadership Team has endorsed the adoption. Tom Storrer made a motion to approve the curriculum resource adoptions as presented. Vicki Coash seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.
10. 2019-2020 Academic Calendar
The proposed calendar as recommended by the District Calendar Committee was presented for consideration. Heather Nichols made a motion to approve the 2019-2020 Academic Calendar as presented. Sharon Waugh seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.
11. KASB Policy Updates
Mid-year policy updates from KASB were presented with recommendations.Tom Storrer made a motion to approve policy updates with noted changes as presented. Vicki Coash seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.
12. USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations, including the Addendum. Rob Lane seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0. EmploymentDerion Gillis, Sub Custodian;Additional DutiesClarence Wagner, Sub Bus Aide, Sub Van Driver, Sub Bus Driver;ReplacementWes Bell, High School Social Studies/Physical Education Teacher, Head Football Coach, Weights Coordinator, Winter/Spring Assistant Athletic Director, Major Sports Coordinator, replacing Bill Shaw, Jason Hamm, Brandon Leach;August Holmes, Middle School Evening Custodian, replacing Heather Delancey;Tanner Jones, EHS Building Maintenance, replacing Dennis Gates;Bruce Lolling, EHS Principal, replacing Kevin House;ResignationCorinna Adams, Third Grade Teacher at Skelly, 8th Grade Girls Head Basketball Coach;Kellen Adams, Assistant Superintendent for Business and Operations;Kelly Ankrom, High School Cheer Coach;Misty Jeffress, EMS/EHS Track Coach;Savanna Newman, Blackmore Elementary Evening Custodian;Susan Page, Sub Bus Aide;TransferCrystal Cousins, from Bus Aide to Sub Bus Aide;Alisha Cubbage, from Sub Bus Aide to Bus Aide;Brandon Leach, from High Schools Social Studies Teacher to High School Industrial Arts Teacher;Gail McKenzie, from High School Counselor to Coordinator of Virtual Credit Recovery Program;TerminationDanieka Hon, Bus Aide/Sub Driver;
13. Administrative Contracts
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve 1 year extensions to administrative contracts for: Jenifer Davis, Susan Holthaus, Doug Jensen, Julie Jensen, Karla King, Morgan Marsh, Stan Ruff, DeDe Pierce, Chad Schuetz, and Scott Vang. Seconded by Tom Storrer, the motion carried 6-0.
• February 12 & 14 – Parent/Teacher Conferences• February 14-15 – No School• February 18 – President’s Day (No School)• February 20 – Special BOE Meeting 5:30 pm• March 1 – Science Fair•. March 4 – BOE Meeting/Joint Work Session with City 5:30 pm• March 10 – Daylight Savings Time Begins
Board President Norm Wilks adjourned the meeting at 7:57 p.m. Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS