The U.S.D. #490 Board of Education met in special session on Monday, February 10, 2020, in the Board of Education Office, 124 West Central, El Dorado, Kansas.I. Routine
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Tom Storrer at 6:00 p.m. 2. Roll Call
Members Present: Tom Storrer, President Heather Nichols, Board Vice President Vicki CoashRob LaneHaley RemsbergSharon Waugh Norm Wilks Others Present: Teresa Tosh, Superintendent Melissa Smith, BOE Clerk Kathy Robertson, Executive Director of Fiscal & Support ServicesJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of TechnologyDenise Friesen, Skelly TeacherStan Ruff, Skelly PrincipalSusan Holthaus, Grandview PrincipalKacie Johnson, EMS TeacherNeil Buckman, PatronCarolyn Dwire, PatronCraig Lorenson, PatronAndrea VanAuken, PatronBryan Coons, PatronQuentin Coons, Patron
3. Executive Session
At 6:00 p.m. Tom Storrer moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 30 minutes to discuss individual employee performance pursuant to the KOMA nonelected personnel exemption with Board members and the Superintendent present. Sharon Waugh seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0.The board returned to general session at 6:30 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
4. Approval of the Agenda
Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve the agenda. Seconded by Heather Nichols the motion carried 7-0.
5. Approval of the Consent Calendar
Heather Nichols made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar as presented. Norm Wilks seconded the motion; the motion carried 7-0.Minutes, January 13, 2020 Regular meetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, CCredit Card ReportEHS/EMS Activity ReportsInformation
6. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
• Horizon Award – Kacie Johnson, EMS Special Education Teacher• Employee of the Quarter – Denise Friesen, Skelly Elementary Title I Teacher • Kiwanis Donation – The El Dorado Kiwanis Club donated $2,500 to USD 490 elementary schools
• Grandview Elementary School – Principal Susan Holthaus shared information on programs available including the new PreK program, a leadership program for 4th and 5th graders named ALLL (Ambassadors Living Like Leaders), the Excite music group, the Choose To Be Nice SEL program, and Gator Families. • Legislative Update – Norm Wilks reviewed a list of Senate and House bills affecting education and encouraged Board Members to contact State Legislators.
9. Friend of Education
The following nominee for the Confidence in Kansas Public Education Task Force Friends of Education award was presented for consideration:Mrs. Banks' Closet – John and Michelle Banks Haley Remsberg made a motion to approve the Friends of Education nominee as presented. Norm Wilks seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0.
10. 2020-2021 Academic Calendar
The proposed calendar as recommended by the District Calendar Committee was presented for consideration. Rob Lane made a motion to approve the 2020-2021 Academic Calendar as recommended by the District Calendar Committee. Heather Nichols seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0.
11. Clean Diesel Award Bus Bid
USD 490 was awarded the 2019 Kansas Clean Diesel grant from KDHE which will fund up to 25% of a new bus. Kathy Robertson reviewed bus bids for the proposed purchase of one 65-passenger bus. Rob Lane made a motion to approve the bid from Kansas Truck Equipment in the amount of $95044.00 for purchase of one 65-passenger bus as presented. Seconded by Haley Remsberg, the motion carried 7-0.
12. Approve USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Norm Wilks made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendations. Sharon Waugh seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0. Additional DutiesLorra Gillis, EMS Sub Custodian;Brandon Wise, Powerlifting Coach;ReplacementDevin Whitfield, Bus Mechanic Assistant, replacing Dallas Winter;ResignationAmanda Light, Bus Aide/Van Driver;Kody Melugin, EMS/EHS Track Coach;TransferFelicia Campbell, from Bus Driver to Sub Driver;Clint Campbell, from Bus Driver to Sub Driver;Substitute TeacherHolly Garner, Erin Reynolds;
13. Administrative Contracts
Norm Wilks made a motion to approve 1 year extensions to administrative contracts for: Luke Claar, Jenifer Davis, Susan Holthaus, Doug Jensen, Julie Jensen, Karla King, Bruce Lolling, Kathy Robertson, Stan Ruff, DeDe Pierce, Chad Schuetz, and Scott Vang. Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 7-0.
• February 11 & 13 – Parent/Teacher Conferences• February 13-14 – No School• February 17 – President’s Day (No School)• February 28 – Science Fair• March 8 – Daylight Savings Time Begins
Board President Tom Storrer adjourned the meeting at 7:20 p.m.Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS