These minutes may be amended or approved at the January 14, 2019 BOE meeting.
The Board of Education of USD 490 met in regular session on Monday, December 10, 2018 in the Board of Education Office, 124 West Central, El Dorado, Kansas.I. Routine
1. The meeting was called to order by Board President Norm Wilks at 6:00 p.m.
2. Roll Call
Members Present: Norm Wilks, PresidentTom Storrer, Vice PresidentVicki CoashMonty HugheyRob LaneHeather NicholsSharon WaughOthers Present: Sue Givens, SuperintendentMelissa Smith, BOE ClerkJulie Jensen, Executive Director of CurriculumDoug Jensen, Executive Director of TechnologyDr. Kellen Adams, Executive Director of Fiscal/Support ServicesChandra Spears, OPAA!Dan Demo, PatronBob Poe, PatronLora Meirowsky, TeacherDoug Moeckel, Kansas Association of School BoardsCraig Wilford, Kansas Association of School BoardsSenator Bruce GivensRepresentative Will CarpenterTim Connell, Patron
3. Approval of the Agenda
Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve the agenda and addendum (6a – Additional Personnel Recommendation). Seconded by Monty Hughey, the motion carried 7-0.
4. Approve Consent Calendar
Sharon Waugh made a motion to approve the Consent Calendar. Seconded by Heather Nichols, the motion carried 7-0.Minutes, November 14th, 2018 Regular meetingMinutes, November 27th, 2018 Special MeetingFinancial Reports, enclosures A, B, CCredit Card ReportEMS/EHS Activity ReportsEMS/EHS Athletic ReportsCommunity Partners Donation to Steps for Success ProgramInformation
5. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
• Community Partners Check Presentation – Dan Demo presented a $5,000 check to USD 490 for the Steps for Success Program.
• Food Service ProgramChandra Spears, OPAA! Director of Nutrition Services, provided a semester review of food service happenings, participation numbers, fun activities promoting healthy eating, and shared changes to the federal food guidelines.• KASB Convention Norm Wilks and Rob Lane summarized sessions they attended at the KASB Convention.• Legislative FeedbackState Representative Will Carpenter and Senator Bruce Givens discussed topics for the upcoming legislative session.• KASB Leadership Training Video Series-will be provided electronically.
8. USD 490 Personnel Recommendations
Vicki Coash made a motion to approve the following USD 490 recommendation which include the Addendum. Sharon Waugh seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0. EmploymentClint Campbell, Sub Bus Driver/Bus Aide;ReplacementChy Billings, Music Teacher at Blackmore Elementary, replacing Benjamin McDaniel;Tamara Johnson, Building Aide at Blackmore Elementary, replacing Jaclyn Anderson;ResignationBev Buster, English/French Teacher at El Dorado High School (effective end of SY18-19);RetirementKevin House, El Dorado High School Principal (effective 6/30/19);Nancy Wagner, Librarian at Grandview Elementary (effective end of SY18-19);Substitute TeacherJeff Guy; Susan Rommelfanger;TerminationJaclyn Anderson, Building Aide at Blackmore Elementary;Lindsey Porter, Bus Driver;
• December 18 - Staff Meat & Cheese Tray Delivery• December 19 - Staff Workday (No School)• December 20 - Virtual Professional Development (No School)• December 21 through January 1- Christmas Break (No School)• January 2 - Staff Development (No School)
10. Executive Sessions
At 6:55 p.m. Norm Wilks moved to recess into an executive session for a period of 1 hour to discuss superintendent applications pursuant to the KOMA non-elected personnel exception with Board members, Doug Moeckel and Craig Wilford from KASB present. Monty Hughey seconded the motion. The motion carried 7-0.The board returned to general session at 7:55 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.Tom Storrer stepped out of the meeting at 7:55 p.m.At 7:55 Monty Hughey moved to recess into executive session for a period of 20 minutes to discuss superintendent applications pursuant to the KOMA non-elected personnel exception with Board members, Doug Moeckel and Craig Wilford from KASB present. Heather Nichols seconded the motion. The motion carried 6-0.Tom Storrer returned to the meeting at 7:57 p.m.The board returned to general session at 8:15 p.m. with the same people as listed above present.
Board President Norm Wilks adjourned the meeting at 8:15 p.m. Melissa Smith, Clerk of the BoardUSD 490Butler County, KS